Sílvia Mamede, MD, PhD
Sílvia Mamede earned a PhD degree from the Erasmus University Rotterdam (2006) with a thesis on reflective practice in medicine developed under the supervision of Prof. Henk Schmidt. After her PhD, she continued to work with the research group on medical expertise from the Department of Psychology, Erasmus University. Before moving to the Netherlands, Sílvia Mamede worked in postgraduate and continuous medical education in Brazil and was the dean of the School of Public Health in Ceará, one of the first institutions to adopt problem-based learning for health professionals education in the country. Sílvia is one of the co-founders of iMERR and her research interests include medical expertise development, clinical reasoning and decision-making, clinical education, reflective practice and experiential learning.
- Mamede S, Van Gog T, Van den Berge K, Van Saase JLCM, Schmidt HG. Why do doctors make mistakes? A study on the role of salient distracting clinical features. Acad Med. 2014;89:00–00. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000077.
- Schmidt HG, Mamede S, Van den Berge K, Van Gog T, Van Saase JLCM, Rikers RMJP. Exposure to media information can cause doctors to misdiagnose similar-looking clinical cases. Acad Med. 2014;89:00–00. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000107
- Mamede S, Schmidt HG. The twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism in clinical practice. Med Educ. 2014;48:34-43.
- Mamede S, Loyens S, Ezequiel O, Tibiriçá S, Penaforte J, Schmidt H. Effects of reviewing routine practices on learning outcomes in continuing education. Med Educ. 2013;47(7):701-10.
- Chamberlain M, Mamede S, St-Onge C, Rivard MA, Setrakian J, Lévesque A, Lanthier L, Schmidt HG, Rikers RM. Students’ self-explanations while solving unfamiliar cases: the role of biomedical knowledge. Med Educ. 2013;47(11):1109-16.
- Croskerry P, Singhal G, Mamede S. Cognitive debiasing 2: impediments to and strategies for change. BMJ Qual Saf. 2013;22 Suppl 2:ii65-ii72.
- Croskerry P, Singhal G, Mamede S. Cognitive debiasing 1: origins of bias and theory of debiasing. BMJ Qual Saf. 2013;22 Suppl 2:ii58-ii64.
- St-Onge C, Martineau B, Harvey A, Bergeron L, Mamede S, Rikers R. From see one do one, to see a good one do a better one: Learning physical examination skills through peer observation. Teach Learn Med. 2013;25(3):195-200.
- Martineau B, Mamede S, St-Onge C, Rikers RM, Schmidt HG. To observe or not to observe peers when learning physical examination skills: that is the question. BMC Med Educ. 2013;17;13-55.
- Van den Berge K, Mamede S. Cognitive diagnostic error in internal medicine. Eur J Intern Med. 2013;24(6):525-529.
- Mamede S, van Gog T, Moura AS, de Faria RMD, Peixoto JM, Rikers RMJP, Schmidt HG. Reflection as a strategy to foster medical students’ acquisition of diagnostic competence. Med Educ. 2012;46:464-72.
- van den Berge K, Mamede S, van Gog T, Romijn JA, van Guldener C, Van Saase JL, Rikers RM. Accepting diagnostic suggestions by residents: a potential cause of diagnostic error in medicine. Teach Learn Medicine. 2012;24(2):149-54.
- Mamede S, Splinter TAW, van Gog T, Rikers RMJP, Schmidt HG. Exploring the role of salient irrelevant clinical features in the emergence of diagnostic errors and the mechanisms through which reflection counteracts mistakes. BMJ Qual Saf. 2012. doi:10.1136/bmjqs-2011-000518.
- Chamberland M, St-Onge C, Setrakian J, Lanthier L, Bergeron L, Bourget A, Mamede S, Schmidt HG, Rikers RMJP. The influence of medical students’ self explanations on diagnostic performance. Med Educ. 2011;45:688-95.
- Van den Berge K, van Gog T, Mamede S, Van Saase JLCM, Rikers RMJP. Acquisition of visual perceptual skills from worked examples: learning to interpret electrocardiograms (ECGs). Interact Learn Envir. 2011; doi:10.1080/10494820.2011.554422.
- Ciaschi A, Caprara A, Gillespie F, Furnari G, Mamede S. Changing doctors’ behaviours: an educational program to disseminate a new clinical pathway for the hospital management of hip fractures in elderly patients in the Lazio Region, Italy. J Eval Clin Pract. 2011;17:811-8.
- Mamede S, Van Gog T, Van den Berge K, Rikers RMJP, Van Saase JLCM, Van Guldener C, Schmidt HG. Effect of availability bias and reflective reasoning on diagnostic accuracy among internal medicine residents. JAMA.2010;304(11):1198-1203.
- Mamede S, Schmidt HG, Rikers RMJP, Custers EJFM, SplinterTAW, Van Saase JLCM. Conscious thought beats deliberation without attention in diagnostic decision-making: at least when you are an expert. Psychol Res. 2010;74:586-592.
- Al-Moamary MS, Mamede S, Schmidt HG. Innovations in medical internship: benchmarking and application within the King Saud bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences. Educ Health. 2010;23(1):367. Epub 2010 Apr 17.
- Mamede S, Schmidt HG, Rikers R, Penaforte JC, Coelho-Filho JM. Influence of perceived difficulty of cases on physicians’ diagnostic reasoning. Acad Med. 2008;83:1210-1216.
- Mamede S, Schmidt HG, Penaforte JC. Effects of reflective practice on accuracy of medical diagnoses. Med Educ. 2008:42:468–475.
- De Luca A, Caprara A, Barbolini M, Francia C, Ferri M, Mamede S, Borgia P, Guasticchi G. Continuing medical education and evidence-based clinical pathways. Training emergency health workers in Latium, Italy. Educ Health. 2008 Mar; 21(1):119.
- Mamede S, Schmidt HG, Rikers R, Penaforte JC, Coelho-Filho JM. Breaking down automatically: Case ambiguity and shift to reflective approaches in clinical reasoning. Med Educ. 2007;41:1185–1192.
- Mamede S, Schmidt HG, Rikers R. Diagnostic errors and reflective practice in Medicine. J Eval Clin Pract. 2007;13(1):138-45.
- Mamede S, Schmidt HG, Norman GR. Innovations in Problem-based Learning: What we can Learn from recent Studies. Adv Health Sci Educ. 2006 Nov;11(4):403-22.
- Mamede S, Schmidt, HG. Correlates of Reflective Practice in Medicine. Adv Health Sci Educ. 2005; 10:327–337.
- Mamede S, Schmidt HG. The Structure of Reflective Practice in Medicine. Med Educ. 2004;38:1302-08.
- Wiers R, van de Wiel M, Sa H, Mamede S, Tomaz B and Schmidt H. Design of a problem-based curriculum: A general approach and a case study in the domain of public health. Med Teach. 2002;24(1):45-51.
- Ausse J, Omar MA, Mamede S, Macedo MC, Pinto A, Campos JS. Developing an information system to support the pursuit of descentralization: the perspective of Ceará State in Brazil. J Manag Med. 1995;9(4):35-43.
- Coelho-Filho JM, Soares SMS, Sá HL. Problem-based learning: application and possibilities in Brazil. São Paulo Med J. 1998;116(4):1784-1785.